Boos for the OAC

Received an email from the Ohio Arts Council regarding my submission. I was declined for the Individual Arts Grant. Not a big surprise. I suppose that since it's children's material, there is almost no quality that will make it "awardable". Maybe if my characters were gay, crippled, or minorities...or all three combined.


But I'm not bitter...

Anyway, I'm moving on. It was worth a try, right? Now I have to start sending queries to publishers and hoping they're not as obtuse or close-minded that I feel the OAC is.

I really feel sorry for the OAC, because they miss the larger picture. I see TV shows like "Curious George" or read books like "Charlotte's Web" and know they have literary merit well beyond the scope of agenda-driven stories that OAC endorses.

Onward and upward.

No comments: